III. Should A Christian Drink Wine Socially?
A. A Christian is told not to drink alcoholic wine or stronger alcoholic drinks.
1. Proverbs 20:1 says that _________ is a mocker.
When people drink, they often get silly or foolish acting.
Very few people act their natural self when under the
influence of alcohol. Thus, a person who drinks wine
and starts acting foolish, many times ends up being an
embarrassment to his wife, children, and even his own
reputation. If you get a little wine in you, it will
mock you. It will make a fool out of you.
2. Proverbs 24:9 says The thought of ______________________ is sin.
3. Ecclesiastes 10:1 is talking about a pharmacists mixture of medicine in the form of an ointment, to which the flies happen to be attracted. They get attracted to it; and whether they get stuck in it, or it is just quickly fatal to them, they nonetheless end up dying in the ointment mixture. Then, the smell of dead flies in the mixture causes it to stink. The verse then goes on to say, so doth a little __________ him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.
4. Proverbs 20:1 goes on to say, ____________ drink is raging.
Note: The point is this, that the medicine is there to help you. But if flies get in it, then the smell of the medicine just may kill you! So what was good for you, now becomes a reproach to you.
Even so it is when a person held in reputation begins to talk and do foolish things. It is out of character for his position, and becomes disgusting to those around him.
That is exactly what alcoholic drinks do to a person. It mocks him, and makes a fool out of him. Eventually embarrassing himself, and his family.
-- III. Should A Christian Drink Wine Socially? B. A Christian is told not to look at alcoholic drinks. 1. Proverbs 23:31 says, ________ not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. The reason for not looking at it, is so that you will not be tempted to then taste of it. Do not deceive yourself into thinking that you are above ever being tempted to drink alcohol.
Note: There are stronger alcoholic drinks than wine, and the end result of them is said to be raging. Something raging is violent, and out of control. It is frequently said, A raging fire burnt a house to the ground last night located at... The fire was furious and out of control, or the fire-fighters would have saved the house from being burnt to the ground.
Even so it is with liquor. The stronger the percentage of alcohol in the drink, then the more out of control a person can quickly become. Whether alcoholic wine, or a stronger alcoholic drink, the end result of both is bad.
2. I Corinthians 10:12 says, Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he ________. 3. Eve had never sinned, but in Genesis 3:6, when the woman ______ that the tree was good for food... she then took of the fruit and sinned. It started when she saw the fruit, and then entertained thoughts about eating it. 4. That was also the downfall of Achan in Joshua chapter 7. After he was caught for his sin, he told what led to his downfall in verse 21 of that chapter: When I ______ among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment... 5. We must remember that one of the top three downfalls of man comes through the eye-gate. I John 2:16 says, For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the ________, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
Note: Whether it is Eve, or Achan, or YOU, do not become over-confident that you can look at anything without being tempted to sin. The Bible says to not even look upon alcoholic drinks, lest you be tempted to drink them. Be wise and believe God.
6. Proverbs 8:33 says, Hear instruction, and be ________, and refuse it not.
-- III. Should A Christian Drink Wine Socially? C. A Christian is told not to get under the control of alcoholic drinks.
1. Ephesians 5:17,18 tell us, Wherefore be ye not ____________, but understanding what the will of the Lord is. And be not __________ with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.The will of God is clear Christians are not to be filled with alcohol, but filled with the Holy Spirit. Christians are not to be controlled by liquor, but controlled by the Holy Spirit.
2. In Acts 2:1-21, a miraculous event takes place. a. It was the day of __________________. (vs. 1) b. They were all ____________ with the Holy Ghost. (vs. 4) c. The multitude were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his ______ language. (This event is totally different from the counterfeit Tongues Movement of today; which is just gibberish, and never in a known, understandable language that the hearers can understand the gospel and be saved.) d. Some mocked and said These men are full of new _________. (vs. 13) e. But Peter said, these are not ______________, as ye suppose. (vs. 15)
Note: When these disciples were filled with the Holy Spirit, it appeared to others that they were under the influence or under the control of something. They assumed that that something was liquor, but they were wrong, and Peter made that very clear to them. Remember Ephesians 5:18 above? We are not to be controlled by liquor, but controlled by the Holy Spirit.
1. Proverbs 20:1 says that wine is a _____________.
2. When people drink, they often get silly or ______________ acting.
3. Proverbs 24:9 says that the thought of foolishness is ______.
4. Proverbs 20:1 says that strong drink is ____________.
5. Someone who is raging is ______________ and out of control.
6. The stronger the percentage of alcohol in a drink, then the more out of ______________ a person can quickly become.
7. Proverbs 23:31 says ________ not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
8. The reason for not looking at it, is so you will not be tempted to then __________ of it.
9. Do not be deceived into thinking that nothing could ever ____________ you to drink.
10. We are told in Ephesians 5:18, And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be ____________ with the Spirit.
11. The Bible is clear that Christians are not to be filled with alcohol, but filled with the _____________.
12. Christians are not to be controlled by alcohol, but controlled by the ______________________.
Chapter 1, 2, 3, Final Test Liberty Bible Course Directory